Join up to 16 other travelers on this 14 night tour of Sri Lanka taking in many of the country's highlights with a focus on the work of its most famous architect Geoffrey Bawa and the heritage that inspired him. You’ll experience his work first hand visiting and staying in several properties he designed, lived in and drew inspiration from. There will be time to take in ancient sites and other more traditional buildings too – both traditional Sri Lankan and Dutch Colonial. These were important influences on Bawa as he developed his famous 'tropical modernism' architectural style. Bawa helped put Sri Lanka on the map as a country with an individual and sophisticated sense of style, and produced sustainable architecture long before it became a fashionable trend.
- Visit Lunuganga, Bawa’s home and lifelong project and the garden that inspired his career.
- Stay at both Club Villa a gorgeous beachside boutique hotel designed by Bawa as villas on the beautiful south coast.
- Explore The Cultural Triangle where ancient sites like Sigiriya and Anuradhapura show the importance of Sri Lanka in the architecture field since as far back as 477CE.
- Stay at the Kandalama Hotel, one of the best examples of Bawa's skill in adapting design to suit environment. This is a one-off property in an enchanting location.
- Visit Bawa’s Colombo residence and the city's parliament complex that he designed (special permission will be obtained!).
- Gain insight into the local construction and design of an eco-property from inception. Learn about using local materials and crafting environmentally sound structures.
- Stroll through Kandy’s botanical gardens and visit the Temple of the tooth.
Along the way, there will be many stops for little visited buildings and architectural gems around the country.
Contact us today to discuss how this small group tour could work for you. For more tour details please fill in the form or give us a call.
Group sizes are restricted to a maximum of 16, so you are able to get the best out of your experience.