This unique itinerary takes in the North of India including Delhi and the former summer capital of the British Raj, Shimla. In the countries east you'll explore multi-cultural Lucknow and Kolkatta, the former capital of British India.
Countryside adventures will take you to the Himalayas in the North and the Sunderbans in the east, giving you a flavour of the diversity of landscape found in India combined with a taste of its urban diversity as influenced by the British Empire.
- Journey on the narrow gauge "toy train", taking in the beautiful forested landscape as you wind your way into the north-west Himalayas
- Explore the heritage of Shimla, the former summer capital, with the historian behind the hit series, ‘Indian Summers’.
- Stay in unique and opulent hotels throughout.
- Trek to the top of Shali Tibba in the Himalayas
- Explore the former capital of British India, Kolkata on one of our fantastic walking tours.
The city hotels included are just suggestions and can be adjusted according to your preferences, travel style and budget. The hotels in rural areas are generally destinations in their own right where there are fewer alternatives.
As with all of our suggested itineraries, we can tailor-make your holiday to suit your budget, style and expectations. Find out about our exclusive ‘Journey Planner’ here.