This is an unusual family adventure to Sri Lanka and The Maldives, perfect for those wanting something truly unique and authentic. Begin with exploring the 'pearl of the Indian Ocean,' Sri Lanka, combining some of the main sights with experiences off the usual tourist route. Ride tuk-tuks through sleepy rural roads, cycle through ancient cities dating back to the 11th Century, drive past families of wild elephants and sample delicious fresh curries.
For the second stage of your adventure, travel around The Maldives in a way overlooked by the vast majority of tourists - stay on a local island, meet Dhivehi (Maldivian) people and experience the country at its most authentic (later moving to a resort for some pure indulgence.)
Highlights include –
- Scaling UNESCO heritage Sigiriya Rock Fortress and watching the sunset
- Eating lunch on a local farm in the Sri Lankan countryside and learning about rural life
- Watching families of elephants go about their life in Minneriya National Park
- Wandering through pastel coloured Moroccan-style architecture that typify Maldivian towns on a guided tour
- Taste delicious tapas-style hedikaa with Maldivians and learn to beat boduberu drums
- Relax totally in a beautiful resort on a private island in The Maldives
As with all of our suggested itineraries, we can tailor-make your holiday to suit your budget, style and expectations. Find out about our exclusive 'Journey Planner' here.