This 11 day cycling tour through Sri Lanka takes you through Ancient cities, revered religious monuments, extraordinary landscapes and wildlife, colonial architecture, and stunning beaches. Influenced by a wide variety of cultures including British, Indian, Portuguese, and Dutch, the island is a fascinating and rich cultural destination with unbeatable cycling trails. Along the way, sample the fresh produce and many wonderful spices of local Sri Lankan cuisine. With accommodation ranging from bungalow to spa resort, this cycling tour shows you the colour, romance, history, and breathtaking landscapes of this unforgettable island destination.
- Pass by the colourful market scenes of the Karavas fishing community
- Visit Dambulla, the second century Buddhist temple
- View what remains of King Kasyapa’s summer palace
- Get up close and personal with the wildlife on a safari in Wasgomuwa National Park
- Explore the UNESCO listed Polonnaruwa Historic Park
- Discover the picturesque city of Kandy
- Matale: Sri Lanka’s spice centre
- Wander the winding streets of Galle and visit the UNESCO Fortress
Tour Profile: The eleven day trip contains eight full days of cycling, totalling 563km. The terrain is undulating, particularly inland, and some of the days contain stretches of over 70km of riding. Heat and humidity on the island can be intense at times, but the gorgeous terrain and stunning wildlife sighting opportunities make the trip an unforgettable cycling experience.
Suitability: As the full cycling days often contain long distances, this ride is well-suited to cyclists with experience. Long distances, inland inclines, and typical Sri Lankan heat and humidity make parts of the tour challenging, however, anyone with a reasonable level of fitness can participate.
Trail Conditions: Road surfaces are mixed but generally well-maintained. Tranquil back roads, gravel paths, and estate tracks make up the majority of the journey.