The ultimate authentic holiday to The Maldives, this itinerary lets you get an unparalleled insight into local life with accommodation in comfortable guesthouses.
Most visitors to the Maldives stay on resort islands. These are not inhabited permanently, except by hotel staff. Generally, tourists and locals are kept apart. Since 2009 though, it has been possible to stay on inhabited Maldivian islands. It's an incredible opportunity which will appeal to discerning travellers who want to balance the classic Maldives picture-postcard resort with the opportunity to meet the locals and get to know the extraordinary way of life in this utterly unique country.
- A guided cultural tour of Male, including a visit to the local markets, 17th century mosque and 3rd November 1988 Memorial
- Fishing for your own incredibly fresh BBQ dinner cooked at your comfy guesthouse
- Breakfast with a local family who'll share stories from their everyday life
- Maldivian crafting lesson including woodwork and palm weaving - you can take the pieces home with you as a beautiful memento
- Cookery lesson with a Maldivian family where you'll learn how to prepare traditional dishes, perfect for wowing friends back home
As with all of our suggested itineraries, we can tailor-make your holiday to suit your budget, style and expectations. Find out about our exclusive 'Journey Planner' here.