Hanoi, one of Asia’s most iconic and enigmatic cities will celebrate its 1000th birthday in October 2010. Visitors will be treated to an array of performance and festivities across the city during the month. Anyone planning a Vietnam holiday during this time may want to spend a little extra time in the city to absorb the celebrations and witness this unique event. Hotels in Hanoi will be very busy during this time so contact us for advice in finding the best places still available.
Here we list the official schedule of events, although rest assured there will we be plenty more to discover in the city’s myriad of densely populated and atmospheric streets.
FRIDAY 01 OCTOBER 2010
This morning the celebrations will start with the opening of 10 days of cultural and sport activities celebrating the 1000th anniversary of Thang Long – Ha Noi foundation at the area around the Hoan Kiem Lake located in the center of town.
– The opening of Ha Noi’s cuisine festival
– The opening of Hanoi picture exhibition (afternoon)
– Flying 1,000 lanterns (evening)
SATURDAY 02 OCTOBER 2010
Today’s celebrations focus on the start of historic documentary films of Thang Long – Hanoi
– The opening of Film about Hanoi’s week (including 12 scientific documentary parts of Thang Long – Hanoi).
– The opening of Capital Cup
– Gymnastics parade of the elders’ society
– Festivals of songs about Thang Long – Ha Noi outdoor.
SUNDAY 03 OCTOBER 2010
Carnival of artists troupes from Ha Nam province and Hoang Mai district perform and there is also a kite flying festival
MONDAY 04 OCTOBER 2010
– Carnival of artists troupes from Ha Tay province and Thanh Xuan district perform
– The opening of Trade village festival of Hanoi and the surrounding areas
TUESDAY 05 OCTOBER 2010
– Carnival of artists troupes from Ninh Binh province and Dong Da district perform
– The opening of Theatre Festival of plays about Hanoi
WEDNESDAY 06 OCTOBER 2010
Today is the opening of the International Art Festival celebrating the 1000th anniversary of Thang Long – Hanoi’s foundation with the artists troupes from capital cities around the world.
– Carnival of artists troupes from Bac Ninh province and Hai Ba Trung district perform
THURSDAY 07 OCTOBER 2010
– The opening of exhibition ‘Thang long – Dong do – Ha Noi’
– International workshop on ‘Experience exchange on holding art festivals, performing quality with many
forms of art to serve the public’ with 40 international representatives and 60 Vietnamese
representatives (from 7 to 9 of October, 2010).
– Carnival of artists troupes from Phu Tho province and Cau Giay district perform
– Domestic and international performances on outdoor stages in 14 districts from 7 to 9 of
FRIDAY 08 OCTOBER 2010
– Carnival of artists troupes from Hue city and Ba Dinh district perform
– Folk dance performance at square of Ly Thai To statue
– Dragon dance festival participated with 100 dragon dancing groups.
– The release of KX-09 typical projects
SATURDAY 09 OCTOBER 2010
– ‘Time capsule’ enshrinement
– Carnival of artists troupe from Ho Chi Minh City and Hoan Kiem district to perform
– Folk martial performance at square of Ly Thai To statue.
– Forming ‘World-while 1000 year-old cities network’ and joint communique on preserving
cultural heritage of the cities’ at National Conventional Center on October 9, 2010.
SUNDAY 10 OCTOBER 2010 – THE GREAT ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL
– 6h00: Communal houses, temples, pagodas, churches, schools nationwide altogether make a
sound at the same time to mark the beginning of The Great Anniversary Day.
– 7h00 – 8h00: Leaders of Communist Party, State, Hanoi City, 63 provinces thurify at
Literature Temple, Ly Thai To Temple and pay tribute to President Ho Chi Minh at
– 9h30 – 11h00: Solemn meeting to celebrate the 1000th anniversary of Thang Long foundation
at the National Conventional Center.
Evening Celebrations : from 19h30 to 22h30 at Ba Dinh Square
– Salute the flag
– President delivers the opening speech
– Hanoi People’s Committee Chairman delivers speech
– Closing by chorus and trumpet orchestra presenting medley including 3 famous songs about Hanoi ‘Thang Long – marching song’, ‘The Hanoians’, ‘Missing Hanoi in autumn’.
* Festival: On Hung Vuong road passing Ba Dinh Square: Parade
– 20h00 – 20h30: beginning by the parade of 100 dragon dancing groups, gathered at Ba Dinh Square.
– 20h30 – 21h00: Parade of artists from Hanoi and 14 districts
– 21h00 – 21h30: Parade of artists from provinces nationwide (with model automobiles)
– 21h30 – 22h00: Parade of international artists from invited capitals and Vietnamese artists from State, Army, Police.
– 22h00 – 22h15: Public parade
– 22h15 – 22h22: Chorus sing the new song about the Great Anniversary.
* At the big stage in the middle of Ba Dinh Square: Performance
Part 1: Overture – Dancing of four holy animals
Part 2: Thang Long spirit (from Ly Thai To dynasty to Ho Chi Minh age).
Part 3: Vietnam – Thang Long – Ha Noi thousand years of culture
Part 4: Hanoi in renovation and international integration
Part 5: Soaring dragon of Vietnam, Thang Long, Ha Noi.
A big dragon to gradually soar with 1,000 small dragons, 1,000 balloons bringing 1,000 vertical banners with words ‘Celebrating the 1000th anniversary of Thang Long – Hanoi foundation’ will be set free with the sound of Thang Long festival-drums and lighting effect of skylight system.
When all of the dragons and balloons are high in the sky, there will be a firework display creating the number ‘1,000’ while all people shout clamorously, fireworks in five minutes.
22h40: Leader of Hanoi Capital thanks all the guests.
Festival-drums sound to end the evening
23h00: A fireworks finale for 15 minutes at several places around the city