Discover Sri Lanka through the lens of its most famous architect, Geoffrey Bawa, and the rich heritage that inspired him. Immerse yourself in Bawa’s work by staying in properties he designed, taking in both the traditional Sri Lankan and Dutch Colonial architecture that culminated in Bawa’s signature ‘tropical modernism’ style. You’ll also have plenty of time to explore Sri Lanka’s other cultural highlights, including the ancient Sigiriya rock fortress. Plus, since much of Bawa’s work adorns the southern coast, round off your experience with some rest on palm-fringed beaches - it’s a holiday, after all!
- Visit Lunuganga, Bawa’s home and lifelong project and the garden that inspired his career
- Stay at both Club Villa and The Last House, two gorgeous beachside boutique hotels designed by Bawa as villas on the beautiful south coast
- Explore The Cultural Triangle where ancient sites like Sigiriya and Anuradhapura show the importance of Sri Lanka in the architecture field since as far back as 1000CE
- Stay at the Kandalama Hotel, one of the best examples of Bawa's skill in adapting the design to suit the environment. A one-off property in an enchanting location
- Visit Bawa’s Colombo residence and the city's parliament complex that he designed (special permission will be obtained!)
Along the way, there will be many stops for little-visited buildings and architectural gems around the country.
As with all our holidays, this itinerary is just a starting point. We can tailor it completely to suit your budget, pace and style. To find out more about how this suggested itinerary could inspire your holiday, talk to us today.