This tour of Sri Lanka takes in many of the country's highlights with a focus on the work of its most famous architect Geoffrey Bawa and the heritage that inspired him. You’ll experience his work first hand visiting and staying in several properties he designed. There will be time to take in ancient sites and other more traditional buildings too – both traditional Sri Lankan and Dutch Colonial. These were important influences on Bawa as he developed his famous 'tropical modernism' architectural style. Since much of Bawa’s work was on Sri Lanka’s south coast you’ll have plenty of beach time too: it’s a holiday after all!
- Visit Lunuganga, Bawa’s home and lifelong project and the garden that inspired his career.
- Stay at both Club Villa and The Last House, two gorgeous beachside boutique hotels designed by Bawa as villas on the beautiful south coast.
- Explore The Cultural Triangle where ancient sites like Sigiriya and Anuradhapura show the importance of Sri Lanka in the architecture field since as far back as 477CE.
- Stay at the Kandalama Hotel, one of the best examples of Bawa's skill in adapting design to suit environment. This is a one-off property in an enchanting location.
- Visit Bawa’s Colombo residence and the city's parliament complex that he designed (special permission will be obtained!)
Along the way, there will be many stops for little visited buildings and architectural gems around the country. We can of course tailor-make your itinerary to suit you at no extra cost.
Contact us today to discuss how this holiday could work for you.