This is an unusual family adventure to Sri Lanka and The Maldives, perfect for those wanting something truly unique and authentic. Spend the first half of the holiday in Sri Lanka, combining some of the main sights with experiences that take you away from the usual tourist route. Ride tuk-tuks through sleepy rural roads, cycle through ancient cities dating back to the 11th Century, drive past families of wild elephants and sample delicious fresh curries.
For the second stage of your adventure, travel around The Maldives in a style overlooked by the vast majority of tourists - stay on a local island, meet Dhivehi (Maldivian) people and experience the country at its most authentic (later moving to a resort for some pure indulgence.)
Highlights include –
- Scaling UNESCO heritage Sigiriya Rock Fortress and watching the sun set
- Eating lunch on a local farm in the Sri Lankan countryside and learning about rural life
- Watching families of elephants go about their life in Minneriya National Park
- Wandering through pastel coloured Moroccan-style architecture that typify Maldivian towns on a guided tour
- Taste delicious tapas-style hedikaa with Maldivians and learn to beat boduberu drums
- Relax totally in a beautiful resort on a private island in The Maldives
As with all our holidays, this itinerary is just a starting point. We can tailor it completely to suit your budget, pace and style.To find out more about how this suggested itinerary could inspire your own holiday, fill in the form below.